Disaster Response Legal Service NSW - resources and factsheets
You can order or download Legal Aid NSW publications by visiting the Order a publication - Legal Aid NSW website. All Legal Aid NSW publications are FREE. If you have any questions regarding your order or require further assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org
What to do after a disaster: your insurance questions answered
What should I expect from my insurance company?
Has your insurer offered you a cash settlement?
I don’t agree with my insurer’s decision
Standard letters you can use to write to your insurer
Insurance check-up: storm or flood
What to do after a flood or storm - your insurance questions answered
Financial Rights Legal Service - Making a claim for flood damage
If you’re affected by flooding, it might be hard to know how to start a claim on your insurance policy for flood damage to your home, car – or other unexpected costs. Here are ten simple steps you can take to sort things out.
- Step 1 – Consider how your different policies may cover flood damage and other unexpected costs
- Step 2 – Contact your insurer to check your insurance cover and start your insurance claim
- Step 3 – Understand how your policy defines flood, storm, or rainwater damage
- Step 4 – Watch out for common issues in flood damage claims
- Step 5 – Know your entitlements to Additional Benefits under your policy
- Step 6 – Understand what happens after you make an insurance claim
- Step 7 – Consider making a complaint if your claim is refused or is taking too long to be resolved
- Step 8 – Get legal advice
- Step 9 – Keep on top of your finances
- Step 10 – Ask for help if you need it
Storms or floods customer care
https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/floods or call Service NSW on 13 77 88.
Bushfire customer care
https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/campaign/bushfire-customer-care-service or call Service NSW on 13 77 88