Workplace Rights

You are entitled to take leave if you need to take time off work because you are sick or injured, caring for a family member or helping with disaster relief activities.

If your place of work has been affected by a disaster, your employer can choose to ‘stand you down’ without pay, ask you to work from another location and/or ask you to help with the clean-up.

Your rights are covered in your Award, Enterprise Agreement and the Fair Work Act. NSW government and local council employees may have different rights.

For more information about your rights

For legal advice contact

  • Disaster Response Legal Service NSW on 1800 801 529
  • Your union